9 Tips for a Smooth Pool Installation
A swimming pool is a great addition to a home. It’s a lasting source of fun and memories for you and your family and friends. It’s an easy way to spend more time outside relaxing at home. It can even increase the value of your home if done properly. There are many reasons to love a pool, but if you’ve been thinking of embarking on a pool installation, we at Blue Haven Raleigh Pools have nine quick tips to help you prepare and have a smoother installation you’ll be pleased with.
- Choose a high-quality contractor. Learn about the pool installers in your area. Ask around for references. Look at photos of their work online. Make sure this is a knowledgeable, reputable, and experienced craftsman that you can trust. Your future self will thank you.
- Plan a budget and start saving. While pools are a great investment, they’re still an investment and not a particularly cheap one. Decide early on how much money you can and will allocate for the project and begin setting aside money.
- Do your research. There are many sizes and shapes to choose from in the pool world. Consider your yard shape and the way you and your family will be using your pool. Do you want something more natural looking or a pool that’s a bit more modern? See a list of pool styles here.
- Consider the features you want. Pools can come pretty cut and dry, or you can choose to add special features depending on your taste and needs. Live in a colder area? You may want to think about adding a pool warmer. Want an impressive appearance? You could add a waterfall feature. The options are many.
- Decide on a pool site. Most people opt to put their pool in the backyard, but that’s not the end of the decision. Exactly where in the backyard do you want it to go? Your contractor can help you decide what’s best, but you need to go into the project with some idea. Things to consider when deciding where to put your pool include how much direct sunlight you want, how many trees are around (this will be a factor in how often you must skim your pool for leaves), and where any hard-to-work-around slopes and rocky areas are in your yard.
- Learn about ongoing maintenance. Obviously the work isn’t over once the pool is in. Pools do require regular maintenance, calling for both seasonal upkeep and frequent cleaning. It’s good to know about this upfront so you’re not surprised and maybe even regretful down the road.
- Prepare to protect yourself. While pools are fun, they can also be dangerous. This is something to take into account and prepare for if you have small children or if your neighborhood has unsupervised children frequently wandering around. The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission recommends that pool owners install fencing with self-closing, self-latching doors and even to consider an alarm system. You’ll also need to update your insurance to some degree.
- Take care of building permits. You’ll need to be familiar with the building and zoning regulations in your area. A contractor can’t do any work until you’ve applied for a building permit and been approved. Your pool installer can give you some further tips on this.
- Lastly, know your yard will be a mess. Pool installation can take anywhere from two weeks to twelve, depending on weather and the type of pool and features you want. Be prepared to have a yard that’s a little torn apart and dirty for a while, though professional installers will have it back in shape before leaving.
There you go: nine steps to a smoother pool installation. Trust us, it’s worth it to prepare. It makes the entire process go faster and easier, and it can make all the difference in getting an end result you love. For questions about pool installations or to start your project, you can call Blue Haven Raleigh Pools during normal working hours at (919) 465-1965 or contact us here on our site.